Thursday, April 14, 2011

What is God saying?

We left for our last camping trip on a Sunday afternoon. That morning was busy at church, but I was able to sneak away for a few moments and listen to the message. One thing was said that truly impacted me. Buddy (our pastor) talked about, among other things, how God speaks through creation.
They know the truth about God because he has made it obvious to them. For ever since the world was created, people have seen the earth and sky. Through everything God made, they can clearly see his invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature. So they have no excuse for not knowing God. (Romans 1:19-20)
and
The heavens proclaim the glory of God. The skies display his craftsmanship. Day after day they continue to speak; night after night they make him known. They speak without a sound or word; their voice is never heard. Yet their message has gone throughout the earth, and their words to all the world. (Psalm 19:1-4)
and
In the past he permitted all the nations to go their own ways, but he never left them without evidence of himself and his goodness. For instance, he sends you rain and good crops and gives you food and joyful hearts.” (Acts 14:16-17)
And Buddy suggested that when we take notice of creation, for instance when we see a purple flower to ask God, "What are you saying?" That stuck with me while we were camping.

The next morning I awoke to birds singing in the trees. So I asked God, "What are you saying?" Immediately the song Amazed by Lincoln Brewster came to mind …




You dance over me
while I am unaware
You sing all around
But I never hear a sound … 
For the Lord your God is living among you. He is a mighty savior. He will take delight in you with gladness. With his love, he will calm all your fears. He will rejoice over you with joyful songs. (Zephaniah 3:17)
A wonderful way to wake up, don't you think? Still later that day we went hiking in the woods to see the Helton Creek Falls. They are somewhat secluded and if you don't know they are there you'll never go back into the woods as far as needed to see them. But we did. And as I was hiking and hearing the waters rush and crash from the falls I asked God, "What are you saying?" And He replied, "I am powerful." Yes. He definitely is.


At another point that day the girls were playing in the creek that ran behind our campsite. It is a lovely creek and the sound of the gentle babbling waters was glorious. Again, I asked God, "What are you saying?" and He replied, "I am powerful, yet I am gentle."



And again, I saw flowers just beginning to bloom and I asked, again, "What are you saying?" and He replied, "Look at what I can do!"


God is amazing. And I enjoyed an incredible week with Him simply reveling in His creation and listening to Him speak through it all. I highly recommend it … just will be amazed too!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?