Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Seeing

Yesterday evening I made Chicken Succotash for my family.  It's an easy, yummy summer meal - the recipe is here.  It's a nice little intermingling of goodness and flavors from corn and lima beans and tomatoes and chicken and cream.  And I found myself, as I was preparing to bring the meal to the table, so thankful for God's goodness that He created these flavors for us to enjoy.

And then when we sat down to dinner I saw this:


And immediately I was enraptured with God's incredible wonderfullness.  Yes.  When I saw the blue napkins and the salt & pepper and the pink tiger lily on my table I found myself delighted in the Lord!  I just sat there for a moment thinking about how cool God is.  The tiger lily is so beautiful … look at this:


Wow!!  Why did He make something so beautiful?  Why did He create beauty?  He didn't have to do  that!  Truly!   And why colors and sunsets and oceans?  He didn't have to make all those wonderful things!  Think about dog food for a minute.  It contains everything that a dog needs for nourishment.   God could have just provided something like that for us to eat.  But no!  He made pink tiger lillies and the color blue and the yumminess of tomatoes.  Why?  Because He is God.  And because He is good.  Romans 1:20 says that by taking a long and thoughtful look at what God has created, people have always been able to see what their eyes as such can't see: eternal power, for instance, and the mystery of his divine being. So nobody has a good excuse  (The Message).

And last night, for the first time I think, I saw with my physical eyes God's goodness, God's mercy, and God's incredible grace.  In the beauty of the wonderful world that He created for us I saw Him.


And that is where I want to dwell every moment of every day …

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful post! Just today my daughter picked a zinnia for me in the yard. I noticed the stem as it meets the bloom as this amazing scallop pattern--hidden behind the bloom itself. It was such a God moment for me to see that He is concerned with the details, delights in the details--even details that we don't readily see. It was a good reminder that before he was a Redeemer, He was/is the Creator! And obviously He had a blast doing it.

    Thank you so much for stopping by TPH and leaving a message. :)

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?