Monday, December 27, 2010

Word of the Year 2011

I was thinking about my word of the year the other day. In 2009 it was LOVE. In 2010 it was SELFLESS. This year it's …


God gave me that word just this morning. I made that photograph not too long after :)

I really wasn't even thinking about the new year or what my new word might be. But God whispered it in my ear today and I heard Him loud and clear.

Oh my, am I ever incredibly uptight! Seriously. It's bad. Really bad. It makes me irritable and easily frustrated and angry … a lot. And sad. And self-conscious. And many other negative words.

Words. I like words. You probably already know that. Because I like words I ♥ the thesaurus. Here are some synonyms for relax:

breathe easy, calm down, compose oneself, ease off, hang loose (I like that one), loosen up, rest, soften (ouch … that one speaks to me!), take it easy, unwind.

The definition of relax is equally convicting:

to become less tense, rigid or firm; grow milder; to reduce or stop work; to release oneself from inhibition, worry, tension (ooo another good one!).

In the coming year I hope to learn how to breath easy & hang loose and soften (not physically, of course!). I will become less tense, grow milder and release myself from inhibition (put on that Speedo and get to swimming!), release myself from worry and from tension.

I'm not big on New Years' resolutions per se. I do seek to improve myself in various ways throughout the year. But I find that the end of the year and the beginning of a new one is a good time for me to self-evaluate. Each year that I have been doing this I have come to the end of the year and seen how I have grown in the "word" and in the Word. I have learned a tremendous amount about the subjects of LOVE and SELFLESSness. And so at the end of 2011 I hope to say the same about RELAX.

What about you?

Blessings!

3 comments:

  1. I quoted Matthew 11:28-30 on my fb this morning....we might really be sisters, or at the very least, cut out of the same cloth ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha Michelle! I will certainly claim you as my sister!! Perhaps we can learn from one another :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm kinda uptight too. Maybe this should be my word too. :) I'm still thinking on mine...

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?