Saturday, February 27, 2010

52/365 Old and New

I read this article this morning: Making a New House Look Old. It was on Apartment Therapy, my favorite site for inspiration and ideas and information on all things home.

For me, it's not so much about old, per se, as it is about character - the aggregate of features and traits that form the individual nature of some person or thing. Yes, I threw in a definition. I think it's important to define what I mean when I say character. There's absolutely NOTHING wrong with this house! It is large and lovely and provides us shelter from the rain and the cold and heat that is so prevalent here in the deep south. But I simply want to make it mine.

The article started me thinking about how we're trying to add character to our home and all the ideas that I have. So I got out my camera and took this:
Day 52 stool

And to me it represents the old and the new. That's an antique stool that belonged to my husband's grandmother. And in this photo you can also see the new window trim in our kitchen. Trim happens to be one of the things that the article suggests to make your new home look old. Good.

The transformation from new to old (or character-laden) is coming along nicely. I am excited about new projects that are right around the corner if it will ever warm up enough!
antique stools

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?